Film Work Continues in June

Set designer Alyssa Stratton (left) and Director of Photography
Mark Khalifé set up a mobile camera rig on the hood of a
sedan prior to a driving scene in Speaking in Tongues.

In the month of June, in addition to working on my own projects with Windmiller Media, I recorded sound on the production of a full-length feature film by award-winning filmmaker Nathan Deming.  Deming is known for his short film Dog Days, which has screened at many film festivals internationally, including the Wisconsin Film Festival.

The film I helped with is Deming's first feature Speaking in Tongues.  It was a great chance to work with DP Mark Khalifé, who photographed the beautiful moving images in Xia Magnus' short drama Round River, which won the Golden Badger Award at this year's Wisconsin Film Festival.

I have no photos of this, but for this shot I sat in the front passenger seat recording sound while the camera focused on an actor who was actually driving the car and making small talk into a cell phone.  Mark, who monitored the shot from the back seat, let me know if my Sennheiser microphone peaked into view.



When I commented to Mark that he must have great faith in the rig to trust it to secure an expensive rental camera, he smiled.  "That's what insurance is for."  Fortunately, the insurance agreement was not put to the test.  The rig held firmly.